Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spectacle Island Cruise


So, these posts are a little outdated but I like to work chronologically. Orientation week was a busy old time. This photo was taken on my first boat trip, a MechE cruise out to Spectacle Island in Boston Harbour.

So this particular island used to be a landfill. A little gross, but that does mean there was a lot of interesting sea glass for all the keen beach combers. I wasn't one of them. We climbed to the top of the island for a scenic view and a windy lunch. Alison and I went for a swim figuring it was only going to get colder. There was a tiny area fenced off for swimming, jaggy rocks underfoot and something bit Alison's toe. Glad to have done it but I don't think I'll be rushing back to Spectacle any time soon.

The lady on the ferry told us that Shutter Island was based on one of the islands in the harbour and filmed around here but the island in the movie was just a mish mash of locations from around America. This means you can't go and visit it and get spooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment